Monday, December 18, 2006

Joe Cox and Transferring

I got to thinking while reading John Kaltefleiter's article in today's Athens Banner Herald. Toward's the bottom he has a section titled Cox's decision to stick puzzling. In it John had this to say... Word is Joe Cox is as competitive on one end of a fishing pole as he is on the football field. That's why it was surprising when Georgia's sophomore quarterback said Friday he was putting rumors of his transfer to rest. He said he'll be at Georgia for the duration. Kaltefleiter needs to read his own newspaper. In Marc Weiszer's notebook from the weekend, he quotes Cox as saying, "I'm staying here. I committed here. This is where I wanted to go, and I'm not going to change my mind anytime. I like it here. I don't want to be anywhere else. I'll be here until I graduate."
Joe Cox is staying until he graduates. Image from OnlineAthens.com.
Cox didn't say he'd be at Georgia for the duration of his career. He said he'd be at Georgia until he graduates. Under an NCAA rule that is now in effect, 5th year seniors that have already graduated can transfer without sitting out a year. So for someone like Cox, he can back up Stafford for two more years knowing that he is one play away from being the starter. After that, if its obvious he will still be the back up for his 5th year, he can transfer anywhere he likes and play immediately. I'm not saying this has even crossed Joe Cox's mind. But, its an option that he now has within the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment