Friday, September 26, 2008

Why I want UGA to win (Non Football Edition)

I'm a big football fan. I love football. I love the players, I love the strategies, I love how the game evolves over time like two roommates adapting to each other's Madden strategies. What I don't love is hearing about the coaches....incessantly. I'll be a hypocrite for 6 minutes though and write about one coach in particular.

Why don't I like it? Because I don't like to spend my time listening to stories about people like Nick Saban. He's the poster child for ego-maniacs in sports. He's a self-promoting, self-tanning, self-aggrandizing sleazeball. During the time period when he pulled a Petrino on the Dolpins after bolting LSU the stories that came out from the "little people" that worked with Saban sealed it for me. When I make a baby that turns out to be a 6'4" QB with a laser rocket arm I don't want someone like Nick Saban dripping body bronzer on my couch while giving Deaner Jr. the hard sell on why he should come to whatever program Saban is Forbesing and bilking out of private jets, homes, cars, and money. Recruiting Reshrmuiting, I'm glad Saban isn't my coach.

I feel like convincing myself to root for a guy like this would be like rooting for the Yankees, the Lakers, and Jeff Gordon. No thanks. A lot of Saban apologizers seem to think that you can't run a program with a likable head coach and still stay competitive... I can think of at least two examples and they're both in the SEC. Enjoy your run Bama. You'll all end up hating him too.

1 comment:

  1. USC's loss will make it tougher for the Tide. Georgia will be pumped to return to its No. 1 ranking.
    For more, check out www.secfootballinsider.com

    ReplyDelete